Monday, April 30, 2012

6 - The lessons we need.

I just posted a 'professional' lesson I had learned (I hope to turn my horse training hobby into a profitable venture) on my horse training blog.  And, it got me to thinking.  When life gets hard, we really need to step back, and evaluate, what is God wanting us to learn?

I've always been confident at training horses.  It is the one thing I'm good at.  Ok, maybe I'm good at other things, but, horses are my thing.  Then, something happened, and my confidence was shaken.  It took me a couple weeks to figure out that the bad thing was actually an opportunity for me to learn. And, in essence, a good thing.

Once I figured THAT out, other troubles popped into my head.  The neighbor whose selfishness and neglect has made my own home less enjoyable?  What am I suppose to learn from this?

Matthew 18:15-17
"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone.  If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.  But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may e established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.  If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church.  And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."

I'm not sure what all of that means for me and my problems, but, I know I felt guilty about talking about the problem to someone else, and not going to the person alone.  I'm far from perfect, and, I thank God for the guilt that drives us to be better people.  And I am thankful for the problems I am faced with, so that I have the opportunity to grow.  Sure, it would be nice to enjoy the peace and joy that comes with a day that runs smoothly, without confrontation.  But, there is something to be said about the peace and joy that is earned from doing the right thing, when, in a sinful, selfish world, it is much easier not to.

I guess this is what bible study is all about.  You knew that?  Well, I'm catching on, slowly.  Trying to learn how to live our everyday life, in a manner acceptable to God.  If we didn't have troubles, it certainly would be more difficult to remember to give thanks when things are going right.  And, without our troubles, there would be little incentive to grow as individuals.  So, aren't we lucky to have so many opportunities to learn?


No comments:

Post a Comment